Nava means boat. The position of the torso and legs (with the arms out to the sides) resembles a boat with oars.
Benefits of Boat Pose
- Strengthens the abdominals.
- Stabilizes the hips and pelvis.
- Stimulates the internal organs and aids in digestion and elimination.
- Begin to practice boat pose with modifications if you suffer from back pain. Avoid boat pose if you suffer from a hernia or abdominal pain.
- Start in a seated position with your feet on the floor.
- Place the hands under the knees. As you inhale, lift your feet off the floor and bring your shins parallel to the ceiling. Find a point of balance on your seat.
- For more of a challenge: Bring your arms to the sides of your body and straighten your legs, bringing your body into a V-shaped position.
- Exhale as you place your feet flat on the floor and release your hands from behind your knees.