As the weather continues to heat up, we aren’t often in the mood for big heavy meals. Today, we are sharing a recipe from one of our yogini’s here at Feel Good Yoga and Pilates. Heather’s gluten-free and vegan quinoa stuffed peppers will leave you feeling satisfied, but is light enough for the summer months.
- Sweet bell peppers (3-4 Large, 6-7 Medium, 12-15 Mini)
- 3/4 cup finely minced onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 3/4 cup finely chopped zucchini
- Zest and juice of 1 large lemon (approx 1/4 cup of each)
- 1 tbsp Bragg’s Liquid Soy (unfermented and gluten-free alternative to soya sauce, but any soya sauce will do)
2 cups cooked quinoa (I cook it in vegetable broth with a dash of turmeric)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Thinly sliced grape or cherry tomatoes
- Halve and core peppers and drop into a large pot of boiling water.
- Cover and return to a boil. Cook until tender crisp, approximately 4 minutes for large, 2.5 for minis. Set aside.
- Saute onions in olive oil on med-high for two minutes.
- Add carrot and saute another 2 minutes.
- Add zucchini, lemon zest and juice, quinoa, ground pepper and Bragg’s.
- Reduce heat to med-low. Saute 3-5 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Turn off heat. Add Cilantro.
- Use a spoon, firmly stuff the peppers with the quinoa mixture. Top with tomato slices, and sprigs of cilantro. Bake at 350 degress for 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately. Leftovers will keep for several days and reheat for a fabulous lunch.
These can also be made in advance and stored in the fridge in an air-tight container. Simply bring them to room temperature before baking.
We hope you enjoy, don’t forgot to share!
Editor: Sarah Head