Put Your Best Brain Forward with this 5 Minute Practice
We all know how great a regular yoga practice can be for the mind and the body, but did you know that some practices can actually help you become smarter?
Enter Super Brain Yoga. Yes, it’s a real thing.
Based on principles of subtle energy and ear acupuncture, in just five minutes a day you can energize and recharge your brain. The specific techniques used in Super Brain Yoga balance both hemispheres of the brain while connecting all the body’s chakras.
Pilot studies of Super Brain Yoga on school children, including children with learning disabilities, showed significant increases in academic and behavioural performances, better class participation, as well as improved social skills. Ready to learn a bit more?
How Super Brain Yoga Works
The body is a piece of complicated, subtle, electronic equipment. There are energy centers (called chakras) that flow throughout the whole body. When all of these energy centers are connected properly, it produces positive results.
There are 7 chakras in the body, starting at the base of the body, going all the way to the top of the head. These chakras are:
- Muladhara Chakra – lower body
- Swadhisthana Chakra – reproductive parts
- Manipura Chakra – navel
- Anahata Chakra – heart
- Vishuddha Chakra – throat
- Ajna Chakra – eyebrow or forehead
- Sahasrara Chakra- top of head
When practicing Super Brain Yoga, your body internally alchemizes the energies from the lower energy centers into higher energies. Those energies are then utilized by the upper energy centers, which help the brain to function with greater efficiency as well as helping to balance all of the chakras at once.
Practice at Home
It is best to practice Super Brain Yoga in the mornings. Here is quick 5 minute practice to help you get started.
- Start in Mountain Pose, ensuring you are facing east or toward the sun, perhaps concentrating on one spot on a wall
- Lift your left arm and gently squeeze your right ear with your left thumb and left index finger, with the thumb on the outside
- Lift your right arm so it is over top of your left arm and gently squeeze the left ear with your right thumb and right index finger, with the thumb on the outside
- Press your tongue to the roof of your mouth
- Press gently on your ears and inhale as you squat down
- Exhale while rising, while continuing to gently squeeze your ears
- Repeat 15-20 times
Most of us go about our days practicing yoga for the body, never really thinking we should be doing it for the brain as well. However, a little goes a long way so I challenge you to try this short practice tomorrow, and don’t forget to share your experience with your friends or on our Facebook page.
Editor: Sarah Head