There are many benefits to inversions, such as shoulder stands or headstands, not just for the physical challenge, but for the mental one as well. Today I’m sharing my top 10 reasons to give inversions a try in your yoga practice.
- Reduce fluid build up, especially in the legs.
- Overcome your fears and increase your sense of personal power.
- Strengthen the pelvic floor and exercise the deepest support muscles of the abdomen.
- Develop determination and focus.
- Decrease headaches.
- Lower blood pressure.
- Strengthen and open the shoulders and upper back.
- Promote intuition, inspiration and inner vision.
- Reverse gravity and its effect by allowing the vertebral column to decompress and regain vibrant alignment.
- See the world in a different way leading to new metaphorical and metaphysical perspectives.
It is good to remember that some inversions are invigorating like Sirsasana, whereas others are cooling, like Sarvangasana, and in my experience, it is beneficial to follow an energizing inversion with a cooling one at a later point in the practice.
Most importantly, always discuss any concerns with your yoga instructor prior to practicing inversions. And don’t forget to have fun!
Author: Valdeane Brown, PHD
Editor: Sarah Head